Goldsmiths Darlington DL1

The existing three storey building is a located within the town centre conservation area on Blackwellgate, and has been occupied by Goldsmiths Jewellers since 1778. The pair of original two storey bays above the shop front had suffered from severe lack of maintenance over the years, and had undergone significant downward movement, racking and distortion. PSL Engineers were commissioned to complete a structural investigation of the bays to ascertain existing support structure and causes of movement, and to provide a full remedial specification and design for fully resupporting the bays. The existing sash windows had ornate details including dentil banding, covings, ornate modillion cornices and stained glass which had to be retained or reconstructed to match as part of the works.